The holiday madness is fast approaching and even though there is so much fun and excitement in the air, it can get a little stressful and overwhelming.
If you are planning on traveling over the festive season, we have some great tips for you to make your trip run smoothly and avoid stressful situations.
Be sure to read through this list before hitting the road!
But Before we go there – make sure you like our Facebook Page for more Awesome Cape Town News, views, pics and Videos:
1.Share your travel plans with family and friends. Let them know when you will be arriving at your destination and when you will be returning home.
2.Keep your phone fully charged. Invest in a portable charger.
3.If you are traveling to a foreign country ask a local if there are any areas that you need to avoid where crime is known to occur.
4.Keep your valuables on you at all times.
5.Don’t plan your road trip the day before Christmas or New Year as the roads will be chaotic and there will be more opportunities for an accident to occur.
6.Take pit stop breaks every few hours to rest. Don’t drive while you are tired.
7. It is worth investing in travel insurance when going abroad. Accidents happen and it is better to be safe than sorry.
8.Read up on the local wildlife in the location you are traveling to. Research if there might be poisonous snakes or spiders you need to be wary of and what precautions you should take to avoid being bitten.
9. Always carry a first aid kit with you.
LONG FLIGHT/ROAD TRIP PACKING ESSENTIALS:
1.Eye mask & Ear Plugs
2. Hand sanitizer
3. Wet wipes
4. A Good Book
5. Snacks & water
6. Music & Headphones
7. Neck Pillow & Blanket
8. Pain medication/prescription meds
PLANE TRAVEL TIPS:
1.When booking your tickets, avoid peak travel dates. Two days before and after Christmas and New Year is usually the peak times.
2. Check the airline’s restrictions ahead of time on carry-on luggage and fees for checked bags.
3. Download your favorite movies/games/books/music on to your laptop/iPad to keep you and the kids busy. Plus, the familiarity will reduce stress.
4. Arrive at least an hour early. This will give you plenty of time to check in and maybe even get a bite to eat before your trip.
5.Put your change, keys, belts, phone, and jewelry in your carry-on instead of emptying your pockets in the security line.
6.In case your flight gets delayed and you need to stay overnight, program your phone with numbers for airlines, rental cars, and friends or family in the town of your connecting flights.
8.Ship wrapped gifts or wait until you reach your destination to wrap them, as they might have to unwrap a present to inspect it.
ROAD TRIP TIPS:
1.Take the scenic route. It might have less traffic and more photo opportunities.
2. Get an early start to avoid the heaviest traffic.
3. Have your car checked for brakes, battery, fluids, and tire pressure before you leave.
4. Make sure to pack jumper cables!
5. Get the kids involved in making a music mix for the road, make sure to include some festive Christmas songs to get you into the holiday spirit.
6. Plan fun and exciting pit stops along the way. That way you get a break from driving often and there is something to look forward to.
7. Fill up the tank the day before you leave.
8. If you’re traveling with kids, let them make Christmas cards for the family during the drive.
9. Have an empty plastic bag on hand for trash or food waste to keep the car tidy.
Do you have any more tips/hacks to share with us? Leave them in the comments, we would love to hear them!
Like our Facebook Page for more Awesome Cape Town News, views, pics and Videos: