Have you got no plans for this weekend? Why not drive 45 minutes outside of Cape Town to Hermanus to experience the Hermanus Whale Festival which takes place this weekend (28th September to the 30th September)!
The Hermanus Whale Festival
This festival is known for the best land based whale watching in the world. There is really no better time to spot this magnificent mammal than in September which is peak whale watching season in this coastal village. Now in its 27th year the Hermanus Whale Festival is the oldest and largest festival on the Cape Whale Coast in South Africa.
Take a stroll into this beautiful village, with a view that boasts such beautiful creatures like the Southern Right Whale. You can also expect on land- quality entertainers and musicians, an array of food stalls and kiddies activities. Events suitable for both the young and the old.
Over the period of three days, this little coastal village comes alive- with many restaurants serving delectable meals, and accommodation through out the village, it is a weekend not to miss!
The only eco-marine festival in South Africa, the eco-marine tent has become one of their biggest attractions. With a wide range of eco and marine-related environmental exhibitions, the aim of the tent and the Hermanus Whale Festival is to inspire people through informative, colourful and interactive displays that are popular, informative and entertaining! The focused appeal remains to children, adults and anyone who cares about preserving our ocean wildlife.
The festival combines whale watching from shore and sea with live shows, hands-on family fun, street parades, film, music, seafood and local produce!
Here are some of the various activities taking place this weekend:
- An inter-active Eco – Marine Village Tent as our main focus are on conservation
- Eco-Marine talks about whales, penguins, white sharks ( shark week)
- Treasure hunt in the Eco – Marine Tent for the kiddies on Saturday and Sunday (12-2)
- Good Hope FM broadcasting live for 3 days at the Whale Festival
- Great food at the festival as well as restaurants in Hermanus
- Quality crafters on Market Square
- Kiddies Entertainment on Market Square
- The popular Street Parade on Saturday Morning
- Whales and Wheels Classic Car Show
- Coke Music Marquee on Gearing’s Point
Information taken from: http://hermanuswhalefestival.co.za/.
Also have a look at the Facebook event!