It’s Spring time in the Mother City, and that means flower season is officially here. Cape Town flower season is definitely one of the most beautiful times of the year. Blankets of blooms that stretch as far as the eye can see, thick braids of colour over the sandy slopes, the Cape wildflowers have come out to play and I’m loving every little bit of it! And do you know what the best part is? The Cape’s seasonal wild flowers are accessible to anyone and everyone who wish to see the Mother City in all her glorious spring splendour. And here are some of my top picks across the Western Cape to witness this magnificent beauty:
But Before we go there – make sure you like our Facebook Page for more Awesome Cape Town News, views, pics and Videos:
- The West Coast National Park: Every year the West Coast National Park bursts into a beautiful and glorious celebration of colour. I’m just gonna come out and say it, this is by far my favourite place to view the Cape’s wildflowers! And what do I love most about it? Well, you get to see these wildflowers in their raw and untamed state, completely unapologetic, relentless in their spectacular pursuit to set the west Coats alight in a magnificent burst of colour. It is striking, beautiful, and powerful, and I might even go as far as to say inspiring. The West Coast National Park is known to draw flora lovers from all corners of the globe, and there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t get to witness it to.
View this post on Instagram
You haven't seen natural beauty until you've seen South Africa. Like or Drop? – Comment below 👇👇 – 📸 Credit: @kaibernstein – Follow @total_stay Follow @total_stay Follow @total_stay – Turn on the notifications for more awesomeness 👌👌 ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ #southafrica #capetown #thisissouthafrica #africa #visitsouthafrica #instagram_sa #instagramcapetown #lovecapetown #igerscapetown #loves_southafrica #thisisafrica #southafricanskies #instagramsa #travelling #traveler #tourism #igtravel #tourist #totalstay
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens: The Kirstenbosch Gardens is definitely a strong second contender for viewing all the beautiful Mother City spring blooms in full force. Known as Cape Town’s claim to botanical fame, there really is no better substitute than seeing Mother Nature show off on such a grand scale. Not only is it the most colourful time of the year in the gardens, but it also brings with it Namaqualand daisies and vygies that carpet large areas of the Garden, spring bulbs and many fynbos plants for your sole viewing pleasure. Yes, there is no time quite like spring time at Kirstenbosch Gardens.
- The Hermanus Flower Festival: This is a true celebration of beauty with an extra large dose of FLOWER POWER! Although this requires you to venture a little it outside of the Mother City, it is certainly worth the trip. With over 400 fynbos species, 10 landscaped demonstration gardens, and a herd of alpacas, there’s plenty to see and experience. And as there are hundreds of locally grown blooms on sale, you get to take some flowers home with you – now that’s a pretty cool treat!
View this post on Instagram
Whatever it is you do in life, don't forget to have fun. There will always be ups and downs along the way. Spend time with friends, fill up your love tank. Life is not a rehearsal and you are the star of your own show. Be the best version of you and get on with what you do best. Thanks to my buddy @the_endangered_malpas for snapping the pic #capetown #capetownisawesome #ishootwithorms #livetheadventure #flowers #myawesomeafrica #capetownsouthafrica #capetownvibes #capetownadventures #wanderlust #hypebeast #instagramsa #WOWmeSA @ormsdirect @canonrsa
- Darling Wildflower Show: Oh DARLING, are you in for one spectacular treat! Yes, I just couldn’t help myself 😉 Darling, located on the Cape’s West Coast, is actually one of the most renowned flower season towns in the Western Cape. With a concentration of over 1200 species of flora, with 80 of these species being endemic to the Western Cape (so you won’t find them anywhere else on earth), there certainly is no denying the spectacular beauty Darling holds. Time to go pay the sweet, and equally beautiful, Darling a visit. Definitely worth the drive!
- Hopefield Fynbos Show: Calling all Nature lovers! Fynbos is one of only six floral kingdoms in the world and it’s the only one that occurs entirely in one country. South Africa! And at the Hopefield Fynbos show you get to witness this South African gem in all its glory as it displays the wealth of over 500 species of fynbos, as well as the pretty spring daisies that appear after winter rains during August and September. And with delicious food stalls, a beer garden and lots of fun activities, this certainly is the whole package. This Hopefield Fynbos celebration will have you coming back for more, even if it’s just for another taste of that sensational waterblommetjiebredie!
- Some other Western Cape floral gems that should definitely also be on your journey of floral discovery is the Elgin Open Garden; Harold Porter National Botanical Garden; Bontebok National Park and Agulhas National Park.
Go on, what are you waiting for? Time to take the Western Cape’s flower scene by storm. One EXTRA large dose of spring flower power coming right up!
Like our Facebook Page for more Awesome Cape Town News, views, pics and Videos: