Table Mountain is magnificent, inspiring and absolutely striking in EVERY way, there’s NO denying it! It acts as a constant reminder that Mother Nature is queen and she will make her presence abundantly known, and do you know what? I’m not mad about it one bit! But the coolest thing is that this Cape Town landmark is definitely not just for show, you get to discover and explore it too. Here are 6 things you can do while in the presence of the glorious Table Mountain:
- Hike Table Mountain: Yes, this might be the obvious choice, but damn it never gets old! There are a variety of hiking trails to choose from, but for first time hikers I recommend Platteklip Gorge. Make sure you’re well prepared as this Mountain beast will not be conquered easily, but it definitely will be worth every second of it. Gather your hiking support team (AKA friends & family that are as keen as you, it’s always fun to hike in a team, plus it’s safer too!), pack your backpack (you’ll need water, a couple of power snacks, and something warm just in case), wear comfortable clothes & a good pair of tekkies. Okay, now that you’re all ‘hiking ready’ it’s time to GO!
- Take a cable car up & down: Not everyone is made for hiking, I know, I know. So, for the rest the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway is an excellent choice, and wow it’s pretty incredible too! There is even a cool sunset special that runs from the 1st of November where all locals can enjoy half-priced tickets after 6pm. And believe me, viewing an African sunset from the top of one of the world’s New7Wonders of Nature is a truly spectacular sight! The Table Mountain aerial cableway is something that can be enjoyed by the whole family on a beautiful day out exploring Cape Town. And there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t get to experience it too!
- Abseiling down Table Mountain: Thrill seekers and adventure enthusiast unite! This is definitely for those looking to live on the wild side of life. But I hear it’s EVERYTHING you could ever want and MORE! Here you get to experience ALL the exhilaration, thrill and bliss of abseiling down a natural wonder of the world, now that’s a Mother City adventure bucket list item if I’ve ever seen one! And descending down the side of a sheer cliff will absolutely guarantee you the very best view, that’s for sure! Are you feeling a little bit daring?
- Sleep on Table Mountain: I bet you didn’t know you could actually book a trip to sleep On Table Mountain right? But now you do! Hiking up Table Mountain is definitely an incredible experience, but if you’re in the mood the push that up a gear or 2 spending a night in its glorious presence is pretty spectacular! This exhilarating overnight hike starts at the Kirstenbosch Gardens and ends off with you spending a night at the comfortable Overseers Cottage. This is certainly one memorable Cape Town adventure you won’t soon forget!
- Embark on a Table Mountain Scootour: This is certainly a truly unique way to explore and experience Table Mountain. Here you get to embark on a 5km trail that will take you on an adventure journey down the side of Signall Hill into Bo-Kaap. Thereafter you will be transported to Table Mountain for your final run down a single track off this world famous land mark! And what an exhilarating experience it will be, you might even want to make this your new mode of transportation, that’s how cool it is! This is another EPIC activity that can be enjoyed by the whole family, young & young at heart!
- Enjoy a free guided tour on top of Table Mountain: Yes, this might mean that you need to get to the top first, but once you’ve reached the peak there’s a whole new world waiting to be discovered by you! The paths cover a distance of more than 2km at the top of the mountain, making for comfortable walking to lookout points from which visitors can view spectacular vistas over the city. Table Mountain is part of the Cape Floristic Kingdom and certainly makes it known with its staggering range of flora on display. You also get to witness the incredible display of fynbos and encounter some amazing fauna such as dassies, frogs and lizards, among many other creatures.
Now that you have your Table Mountain bucket-list ready, you can start your exploration journey of Table Mountain discovery. It will be full of thrill, chill & a WHOLE LOT of beauty!